• Who are the actors and agents in the process of creating new identities through architecture and what are their roles?
• What are the patterns and criteria for distinguishing the “own” from the “foreign” in architecture?
• What are the specific architectural themes and elements that are used to transfer the notion of identity?
• Which are “internal” and “external” factors that influence the making of local identity?
• Can these patterns be generalized or are they locally/regionally specific?
• Is the concept of “critical regionalism” an appropriate tool to explain processes of building identity in developing countries?
Using the work of one of the following architects,
a) Jorn Utzon
b) J.M. Coderch
c) Alvaro Siza
d) Luis Barragan
e) Oscar Niemeyer
f) Carlos Raul Villanueva
g) Geoffrey Bawa
h) Rafael Moneo
i) Vittorio Gregotti
j) Peter Zumthor
k) Aurelio Galfetti
l) Tadao Ando
j) Sigurd Lewerentz
k) Gunnar Asplund Review the seven points and discuss how each of those points is reflected in the architect’s work.
After you analyze, using plans and axonometrics, in a pictorial way analyze the building that you select.
The drawings should speak for themselves, so you have to be selective about the way and what you illustrate. All of the illustrations should be scanned and submitted as a PDF. architectural themes